Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Easiest Weekday Meal in the World---as long as you are not vegetarian



October who? It Was, WAS a busy month at my house. So, once again we were staring dinner in the face with no plan at 4p (that’s dismissal time in Albuquerque). My kitchen was dirty (again) and if we were going to have anything that ressembled a real dinner I needed to get to the grocery store. Sigh. We really are useless some days. So I started doing a little Food Network research and begged Scott for a picky eater perspective. After browsing a few cookbooks, he grabbed his favorite old standby, “Dad’s Own Cookbook” by Bob Sloan thumbed to the MEAT section and landed on London Broil. When he puts his mind to it he can be really helpful.

I’m ashamed to admit that I wrote the above paragraph a month ago---and it was exactly what happened last night AGAIN. I say again because that’s what happened last night and uncountable times in the past month. With me out of town for one weekend for a workshop,  the Halloween High Holiday at our house complete with my parents visiting for a week, Parent Teacher Conferences (then and now---and you know how I feel about those) a soccer tournament, and a circulating cold that just won’t go away…we are scrambling for dinner many nights.

It’’s true, I have an advantage on many folks because I love to cook. And in the last month I have managed to tryout a few new recipes. Check out my Facebook Notes for my new favorite Winter Soup: Spicy Orange Leek Vegetable. I also made a lot of Banana Bread (you have that recipe),  Pumpkin Cookies and a super version of almost Lasagne called Two Sauce Lasagne bowls via Rachel Ray. I also have the pickiest eaters in the world at my house. I run out of inspiration FAST in that envronment! So easy and eaten has to be my motto.

I thought this essay was about sharing a recipe for a busy weekday night, but it’s really more about seeking balance. What I have rediscovered in the past month is that I am not SuperMom! Shocking, right? I just can’t do it all. I’m certainly in a creative, full, exciting time of my life. As a parent, my kids are growing up and there is a (wee) bit of space for me to do something. The trouble is I do too many things. With the big M creeping down my neck at 46, diet and exercise are increasingly important to stay healthy. I lost that battle this month. I outgrew my jeans sampling too many Pumpkin Cookies and Banana Bread and caught a mother of a cold. The same window of time I have to devote to exercise is the same window of time I have to devote to writing, upgrading my computer and photography skills, improving my home (ie keeping it from collapsing around us), shop for the kids’ winter clothes, buy new jeans to fit my post-40 butt, and volunteer my time at the public schools. I’m a 5th grade Classroom parent after all—today is the Thanksgiving Family Meal at the Elementary School and it’s time to collect donations for the Holiday Drive.

Balance is an elusive thing in a modern household. If you rest enough, the dishes don’t get done. So be it. I’m trying to be ok with that. As for writing, I’ll keep finding corners to hide in and there will never be a shortage of topics. The part that’s hard for me is riding the waves of activity that overtake us. I do better with structure and routine. I like my schedule. These days I have to work around so many obstacles as to make a lesser woman hide behind her sunglasses. ( A friend once quipped about our November school schedule, “Apparently my kids don’t have school in November!” Referring to the many national, local and school breaks this month).  Alas, “my” schedule went out the window the instant we conceived our oldest son. From that moment forward, I began a journey of surrender that I’m still working to embrace. I try to get what I need in the midst of this crazy parenting life: yoga, writing time, dates with my husband, but if I’m honest, I rarely fully succeed. It’s their schedule we are on now. I’m just along for the ride.


LONDON BROIL:

2 –3 lbs of Flap meat, or flank steak
Salt and Pepper
Montreal Steak seasoning
Heavy cookie sheet, or Cast iron griddle

Turn oven to Full broil and find a reliable timer.

Preheat cast iron griddle in oven if using.

Season meat, and place on cookie sheet or hot griddle.

Broil 5 -7 minutes, turn meat over and broil 3-5 minutes.

I’ve served this a dozen different ways already. Some ideas: Marinated in teriaki sauce, with rice and stir-fry vegetables Sliced with tortillas, salsa and Guacamole.


3 comments:

  1. Love it - have had many a night staring at a dirty kitchen, empty pantry and equally empty thoughts on a good recipe for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. holly - you motivate me! it was a very nice writing, thank you for sharing this to the world!
    big critter hugz- jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. love you sweetie.... so glad our boys met all those years ago and we hung it out to make it to this point.

    ReplyDelete